Applications are now open for the BC Temporary Rental Supplement (BC-TRS) Program
Renters who are experiencing a loss of income during the COVID-19 pandemic can now apply for the Province’s new temporary rental supplement.
There is a two-step process for applications to the BC Temporary Rental Supplement program.
1. Tenants Must Start the Application
A landlord cannot apply on behalf of a tenant.
Tenants will be asked to provide the following information:
- Proof of address, such as a driver’s license or utility bill, recent pay stub with address, or items of mail addressed to the tenant at the rental address
- Proof of monthly rent amount, such as a signed tenancy agreement, rent receipt, or notice of rent increase
- Their landlord’s details and contact information, including email address
- For every household member who is over the age of 19:
- Identification, such as a driver’s license, passport, or BC identification card
- Proof of 2019 income (2019 Notice of Assessment or T-Slips), or letter from Employer
- Proof of 2020 income loss related to COVID 19, and proof of receipt of Employment Insurance, Canada Emergency Response Benefit, Record of Employment, letter from employer, etc
Note: Other documents will be considered. Please provide whatever documents you have that prove who you are, where you live and can support that you have lost income as a result of COVID-19. If we require any additional information or documentation we will contact you.
2. Landlords Complete the Application
Once an application has been reviewed and assessed as eligible, an email will be sent to the landlord asking them to complete the application process. Tenants should inform their landlords that they are applying for the BC Temporary Rental Supplement Program so that their landlord can watch for this email.
Landlords will be asked to confirm details around tenancy, rental address and monthly rent amount.
They will need to provide their mailing address and banking information to receive payment by direct deposit.
Once the landlord has completed their portion of the application, both the tenant and landlord will receive a final confirmation email.
More information on this program, including eligibility criteria
and how to apply, can be found on the BC Housing website, click button below.
We have also compiled a list of the provincial and federal financial support measures for individuals offered during this time.
If you are a tenant and you have questions about how to apply for the Canadian Emergency Relief Benefit (CERB)?